14 May 2011

Production - Music

We at first considered creating our own music, but with the restricted time limit we choose to use some copyright free tracks from the Audio Network collection. We selected several CD's and then sampled the tracks. We were looking for two different kinds of music. The first a subtle sounding indie piece when we meet the three male students, followed by a more dramatic, intense sound. I combined two tracks in the first 30 seconds of the film, you can listen to this below:





I was inspired by films such as "Funny Games" which combined a classical track with a heavy metal screamo track ["Bonehead" by Naked City], to show a contrast between the dignified wealthy family, and the violent boys who although have a calm composure like our characters but a sadistic nature. I contemplated using a loud and dramatic piece like in "Funny Games" but desided it was too overpowering. (Found on the clip at 2:33) 





Then for the loft scene, combined two different tracks, one of which played on a loop until the end of the extract. It has eerie tones, features atmosheric string instruments that sound tense and edgy, and sets the general mood. Here is the extract that features the editted track with the loops I created:





I took inspiration from films such as "The Strangers" which also feature looping. They loop a song as if playing from a vintage record player. Although the genre of song was not suitable, I liked the effect it had on the scene. It created a sense of panic and chaos.


No comments:

Post a Comment